Monday 5 October 2009

Chapter 4: getting creepy :s

This book seems to explore the feelings and creates scenes of the supernatural, this chapter is no exception and seems to continue to explore supernatural images to emote fear in us but at the same time i cannot bring myself to book this book down. i have never read a book as creepy and dark as this and its a whole new experience for me which at times...i enjoy, but when i read the book at midnight in bed...in complete silence it seems to emote paranoia in me. i seem to jump at the most stupid noises which coincidentally relate to the book and once made me scream, i must admit. I think this shows how good the author is, to get someone like me ( never touches a book ) to immerse himself in this book.

This chapter continues to explore the use of Gothic imagery, Harker
explores the castle and discovers many coffins or boxes of dirt, collections of bats about the castle, eerie noises, and a mysterious absence of mirrors (since vampires do not cast a reflection in a mirror). These images are our modern day view of a traditional vampire. A scene in this chapter is haunting, it describes Dracula in his coffin in a chilling and grotesque way. This book is giving me goosebumps and shivers like i am in the scene myself staring down at Dracula. the text is so descriptive it is hard not to imagine the image in your brain. JH usually sees Count Dracula performing some act which would be considered supernatural, such as slithering down the wall of the castle in a "bat-like" manner. there are so many vivid images in this chapter which spring up in my mind throughout this chapter which seem to draw me into the nightmare of the novel.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you are beginning to engage with the novel here. Hope it's not too scary - although it is a sign of an effective writer if it can engage you in this way.
    A good choice of episode to select for special comment - the description of Dracula in his coffin is particularly harrowing: what is it, do you think, that makes it so effective?

    ReplyDelete